Thursday, February 2, 2017

Violet - The Ultimate Service Dog

Editor's Note: Dee Linde and Violet have provided education about service dogs for many dystonia affected families, including presenting at the DMRF Family Symposium in 2016. Dee has also testified before Congress about dystonia among military personnel due to the connection between dystonia and traumatic brain injury. She is a Dystonia Support Group Leader and plans the annual Portland Dystonia Zoo Walk.

I first met Violet on June 21, 2016 at America’s VetDogs, an organization on Long Island, New York that trains service dogs especially for disabled veterans. Our eyes met, and it was love at first sight. Violet has been custom trained for my needs. She knows many different commands, like “brace” to help me up when I fall,  

 or “phone” so I can call for help. 

She also picks up her “leash” if I drop it.  

By holding onto a special handle attached to her Service Dog vest, she helps me with my balance and counter- balance.


And when I need a kiss, she is always there, ready and willing…


Help Violet  & Dee find the cure for dystonia by donating to the Dystonia Medical Research Foundation’s Dogs4Dystonia VirtualDog Walk. Woof, woof! (That’s thank you in dog speak!)

1 comment: