Friday, February 3, 2017

Snoops - A Girl's Best Friend

Editor's Note: Author Ginny Bryan was misdiagnosed for over 20 years before being diagnosed with myoclonus-dystonia, a complex and debilitating movement disorder. Bryan is currently a member of the DMRF’s Community Leadership Council, has contributed to the Dystonia Dialogue and presented at DMRF meetings and events. 

Snoopy Brown Bryan, affectionately known as “Snoops,” is my best friend.  With Snoops, I am completely un-masked, whole and calm, and my dystonia symptoms are not a worry or a thought while we handle the day ahead. My social/emotional and physical well being has improved since Snoops has been by my side the last year and 5 months. Snoops’ is known as a “gentleman,” and often can be found wearing a tie or bowtie, or some sort of outfit. He takes the pressure off of trying to fit in the crazy twist and turns of trying to be a 35 year old independent woman living with a chronic condition that requires balancing wellness, while trying to “fit in,” with my peers and the communities I am blessed to be a part of.

My anxiety, depression, and social fears, are less pronounced and I am more able to use coping mechanisms with Snoopy by my side. I let go of trying to mask my pain around him and that gives me more ability to go out in the world feeling better after letting go for a bit. He lies right on me or beside me while I fret or ruminate. And, when I get too tired and have to cancel plans last minute (with my extremely understanding, faithful and patient friends), I snuggle with Snoopy.  He seems to know when I need him right beside me.

He is my buffer to the world as others focus on him while we are out (and I feel so happy that he has quite the fan club). During social situation, Snoops is the topic that usually others ask about first, and it is an easy topic to speak on, to ease into a social situation. In the last year, I have gained confidence to join different activities and meet new amazing human friends.  I have rekindled human friendships through doggy play dates.  I help a friend out with her dogs when she is working.   That has helped a lot because I love feeling needed. Snoopy also did some therapy work at a local counseling center to bring cheer and ease in the waiting room. It is a joy to be able to share him.

Snoopy has helped me become more physically balanced thanks to our twice-daily walks.  Because I live in an apartment complex and he cannot be off-leash, we have to go on walks even if it is snowy, raining, sunny, or hailing or freezing as Buffalo can be!

This might sound silly; yet, I feel very lost and sad when I am without him, especially on trips when it would be too unfair to him to bring him- we are that bonded. Love is a wonderful feeling, and can open up ones’ world beyond your wildest imagination, even living with such a terrible, chronic, very rare type of dystonia. Snoopy is pure love, and in turn, has made the good days that much better, the setbacks okay while he lays beside me and I cry into his fur, and all the days in between. I am so happy that Snoops came into my life.

2 comments:

  1. You need to know that you are one of my heroes: to struggle against and work so hard to confront your rare fate, and then to find equilibrium and meaning; to take the ultimate risk - opening yourself to Snoopy's unconditional love and devotion; to speaking out about yourself (and Snoopy) only in the hope of helping others. You and Snoopy are truly inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story about one of the truest friendships you can find. I know how important Snoops is to you, and how much he has helped you in your daily life. In return, you give him love and a home filled with all the comforts a best friend is deserving of. You both inspire each other, and that, inspires others. Much love to you both, ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete