Saturday, February 4, 2017

My Ellie Bellie

Editor's Note: Pam Sloate is a health activist and a Board of Director at the Dystonia Medical Research Foundation where she established the The Martin & Roberta Sloate Dystonia Research Fund. She is the author of the popular Dystonia Muse blog.

As the Dystonia Medical Research Foundation honors our canine friends this February with their Dogs For Dystonia Virtual Walk, I'm moved to consider all my miniature schnauzer - Ellie - has meant in my life and the invaluable lessons she has taught me.

Bright-eyed and bubbly, loving, loyal and eternally optimistic, Ellie has infused my world with her exhilarating jubilance and unwavering affection. After an eon navigating life as a solo act, Ellie is a beacon of light brightening my days. She's my steadfast companion virtually everywhere I go and I've connected with a cornucopia of maternal instincts that have long simmered beneath the surface yearning for expression. I wholeheartedly embrace my role as Ellie's momma and find myself reveling in the joys of motherhood.

With the dramatic improvement in my gait post DBS, my energy level has risen closer to - though certainly not matching - Ellie's and we've become partners in crime, exploring the neighborhood and local parks with vigor. Indeed, the changes Ellie has wrought in me are a huge reason why I reached for the brass ring and embarked on my DBS journey. Ellie is my most enthusiastic cheerleader of my newfound mobility and we celebrate our new life every day!

Ellie and I are thrilled to participate in Dogs For Dystonia to pay tribute to our faithful canine friends and the countless ways they enrich our worlds. We proudly join with the Dystonia Medical Research Foundation, fellow patients, friends, and their pets to celebrate our hope that one day we will indeed eradicate dystonia!

I encourage you to visit the Dogs For Dystonia website, where we’ve enlisted our “best friends” as fundraisers and share our heartfelt stories of how our pets have changed our lives:

Click here to visit the Dogs for Dystonia Website. Ellie invites you to join her by registering your dog: Dogs For Dystonia Virtual Walk

Ellie is committed to curing Dystonia! Click here to make a donation: Donate In Honor Of Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment