Thursday, February 9, 2017

Lily - Always There for Me

Editor's Note:  Marya Mesa is the author of the Chronic Mom Life blog where she shares her journey in dealing with her own dystonia and being mom to four great kids with multiple special needs. Her family includes four canine companions: Bridget the Cairn terrier (16), Luna the Bullmastiff (10), Bruiser the Bullmastiff (8) and Lily the Jack Russell (1).

I was diagnosed with cervical dystonia in 2010. The symptoms came on fast and furious. It also left me mostly incapacitated for close to a year. It was devastating and as a special needs mom, I became overwhelmed with anxiety. I didn’t know how I was going to handle everything. I’ve come to appreciate my dogs more than I ever did. They provide a much needed distraction from the near constant pain and limitations that I struggle with. Like many people with chronic illness, I’ve become pretty housebound. When the rest of the world is too busy to notice, my dogs are always there.

I’ll start with Lily, the youngest of the bunch. With my physical limitations it probably seems a little crazy that we got a hyperactive Jack Russell Terrier, but I’m so glad that we did. There is never a dull moment with her and she always has us laughing with her antics, whether chasing around something outside, burrowing in the couch or one of her crazy blanket creations that she makes before she settles in. Lily has to go out a lot to burn off energy. We live in the country with 2 fenced in acres so I just have to go outside with her. Even if I don’t feel like walking, I can just sit down and watch her run. She is one of the most faithful dogs I’ve ever owned...she instinctively knows when I’m not well and stays very close when I’m struggling.

Read more about Lily and meet Marya's other dogs on the Chronic Mom Life blog.  You can also join the 2017 Virtual Dogs for Dystonia Walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment